Saturday, September 26, 2009

Tack Selection

I pretty much have two main tack set-ups that I use. One makes tack purists cry out in horror as they sink onto a chair while fanning themselves. The other is passable, but only just.

Let's get the horror out of the way first.

Here we have the "hippy horse" tack. Not one scrap of leather to be seen, and nearly all the equipment was invented within the last 30 years.

First off, what the heck is that on the horse's back? Why, that would be my awesome Natural Ride bareback pad! It comes with stirrups, but I took them off. Basically, it's a bareback pad with a rawlide (plastic) fork that you can literally cinch down. It's awesome! That thing does not move an inch, even when the horse gets all sweaty and slippery. Best. Bareback pad. Ever.

Now let's turn to the bridle. No bit, of course, but it's not just a bitless bridle, it's THE Bitless Bridle! Yup, Dr. Cook's own invention, and I must say it's the best bitless bridle I own. Made out of Beta, of course. Cherry is very responsive to it, calm and relaxed and tolerates beginner hands on the reins. Pretty damn good bridle in my opinion.

What's left? Those are my rhythm beads! A horse necklace with nifty jingle bells on it. I love the sound of the bells, and since Cherry doesn't seem to mind, I'll throw these on her every now and then for fun. They're actually quite helpful when I want to work on rhythm.

But did you notice the best thing about this tack ensemble? IT MATCHES!!!! Black bridle, black reins, black pad. Turquoise beads and turquoise saddle pad. Ahhh, all is right with the world.


Now let's turn our attention to the more traditional tack.


Notice that all tack items are made of leather. Leather saddle, breastplate and bridle. Saddle blanket is wool and saddle pad is wool felt.

There, isn't that nice and normal? So far so good.

But wait, there's a few things wrong here. For example, the bridle is a sidepull. The horse is 19 years old. Hmmmm.........

Let's take a look at that saddle. It's an Aussie, but those stirrups are English. And what color is the saddle blanket? Teal?!

Yes, that is a bright, gratutitous teal saddle blanket.

*sigh*

I guess we haven't conformed to the tack purists notions of correct horse attire even when we're at our most normal and acceptible.
That's okay though, she's quite happy in her sidepull and I love me my teal.


There's reasons for everything, though. The Aussie saddle is something I found that fit both of us yet was in my budget. Love it!

The teal saddle blanket is there b/c that pad not only has wool felt, but plant felt too. The thing was on sale b/c plant debris had gotten mixed up in the wool. I picked out as much as I could with tweezers, but couldn't get everything, so the blanket is there so no errant plant bits poke the horse.

The breastplate is quickly becoming my favorite one. I got it on sale b/c it looked cool (yeah, great reason I know). Though it's big and heavy and kind of overpowers my small horse, she seems to like it the best. I had a Y-shape collar, but she objected to it and didn't want to move forward. I guess it restricted her shoulders too much. All I needed was something to keep the saddle from slipping back, and this does the job very well.

I love my tack. :) And if it matches and/or is teal, I'm happy as a clam.

No comments:

Post a Comment