Saturday, November 21, 2009

Just wanted to share this awesome photo collage that MoMoMare made for me! Pretty spiffy, no? The text says "Cherokee Sunrise", which is Cherry's actual, registered name.

Yes, the little spotted thing is registered, believe it or not! She's registered in the Ara-Appaloosa registry. Admit it, you're impressed. A real live Arappaloosa! Yeah, I know, it's not as campy as the Blue Eyed Horse registry, but it's not exactly the AQHA either.

So what is the little spotted thing's breeding anyway?

According to her papers, she's 1/2 Arab and less than 1/4 Appaloosa. You read that right. Less than 1/4 Appaloosa. Apparently, the genes for spots, rat tail, mohawk mane, visible sclera, and a big fat attitude are strong.

What's that you say? 1/2 + 1/4 only equals 3/4? What's that last 1/4?

Oh, right. That.

Well, to be perfectly frank, I have no idea. Considering the distinguished and noble lineage on her pedigree only goes back to her parents, there's no way to tell for sure. My best guess is QH, simply because that is a very common breed, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if her mom was an Appy-QH. Based on names alone, I think her sire was the Arab, and her mom was the spotted thing. All in all, I think the (however misguided at the time) breeding turned out pretty well.

I wish crossbred horses always turned out as awesome as Cherry. Yes, I'm totally biased, but here's my reasoning all the same.

From the Arab she has:
  • Totally cute, slightly dishy face
  • Flagged tail
  • High endurance. When she's fit, it's impossible to tire her. I should know, I've tried and failed
  • Soundness
  • Longevity. This is still being tested, but she's made it to age 19 with only a little arthritis, so I have every hope I'll be retiring her from work at the ripe old age of 30.
  • Big feet. They're not huge, but they're a good size for her body. I hate tiny feet!
From the Appy:
  • Spots! I luvz teh spotz.
  • Personality. Look at that face and tell me she's boring. I dare you.
  • Intellegnce. Makes for a great trail horse, but not for the best ring horse. That's okay, I don't suffer fools well, and neither does she.
  • Loyalty. There's nothing like bonding with a stubborn Appaloosa mare. She's practically killed herself for me, and lord knows I don't deserve it.
  • Hard feet. She only needs shoes if we're riding on rocks. Other than that barefoot all the way!
  • Soundness. All her lamenesses have been from accidents and injury. Praise be!
  • Sense. Cherry's never been one for theatircal spooking or losing her head under pressure. She'll get pissed off before she'll get stupid. She's got us out of many a tight spot on the trail, where a less sensible horse would likely have killed us both.
Not bad, really. Overall her conformation is pretty good. A few flaws here and there, but nothing to scream about.

Her biggest negative feature is her attitude. When I bought her, her attitude towards me was, "Fuck you!" That sure was fun to work with. Not. Once we worked it out though, it's been great. Underneath the grumpiness, she has a great mind. Some Appies don't, and that's a sad result of breeding for Teh Spotz and nothing else. An Appy SHOULD have a good mind, even if it takes more effort to bring it out. If they don't trust you and think you're an idiot, lord help you. If you do earn their respect and trust, you won't find a more willing partner.

Sometimes the silly Arab brain will come out, usually on very windy days. Then it's all tail waving, eyes wide open, arched neck, and dragon snorting. Very pretty, mind you, but not too much fun to work with.

Anyway, I love Appaloosas and I love Arab crosses, probably becuase my own Arab-Appy cross turned out so well. Othe Arab-Appy crosses I've met have been good horses as well, so I don't think it's just me!

No comments:

Post a Comment