Monday, June 21, 2010

Old Mac G2 Hoof Boots

We got our hoof boots today! And they fit!!!!!!! Praise be. Haven't had much luck with tack lately, so I was totally dreading trying the boots on Cherry. But surprise surprise, they seem to fit quite well.

After months of waffling and careful online research, I decided on the Old Mac G2 hoof boots. They seemed the best suited for Cherry's round feet, and from what I read, well made and durable. I figure if we go through a pair every couple years or so, I've saved more than enough money on metal horseshoes.

On the negative side, they don't fit around the pastern as well as I'd like. The actual hoof capsule part fits well with just enough room to spare for foot growth, but not enough room that they twist on her feet. However, the top part gaps more than I'd like. I think I'll have to use the stupid gaiter-sock thing or else wrap her pasterns in vet wrap so things don't get inside the boot.

Cherry took to the boots quite well. She walked and jogged up and down the barn aisle no problem. However, turning around in the cross ties was a bit of a procedure. She kept looking down at her feet like she didn't know where to put them. Change in terrain was also interesting. It was like there was a disconnect between where she thought her foot and boot were and where they actually were. I think she'll figure it out very quickly, though.

Another concern I have is interfering. She's always "winged in" with her front feet, hence all the popped splints and the broken splint bone many years ago. Now that her feet are substantially bigger, I think we might see a bit of foot hitting opposite leg issues. That's okay, I'll break out the trusty splint boots if that threat rears its ugly head.

Speaking of ugly, these boots are absolutely hideous. They make Cherry look like she's wearing Frankenstein's hand-me-downs. Fankenfeet is my favorite term, hee hee! That's okay. As long as they do their job, I really don't care what they look like.

So far so good. Tomorrow we'll take them out on a maiden voyage around the ranch. I just hand walked today, figuring if that she was going to fall on her face I didn't want to be involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment