Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Hoof Boot Saga Continues

A few weeks ago I decided to order the Easyboot Bares. Of course they arrived right in time for the fall rains, so I had to try them on Cherry's dirty hooves and pretty much decide to keep the damn things then and there. I made the wrong choice.

You know why they're called Bares? Because you can BARELY get them on! Ha ha! Wasn't that silly, kids?

If you can't tell, I'm a trifle upset. Mostly with myself. Once again, I ignored my gut reaction in the favor of faulty logic. As soon as I opened the box I was like, "Huh, these look tiny. Did I get the right size?" Not a good sign right there. But I soldiered ahead anyway.

"Using technique rather then strength, gently ease the boots onto the hoof toe first......" So says the instructions. I tried. I tried so hard to use technique. Instead, the only way I could get them on was to force them. Stupid fucking boots.

I did manage to get them on. I also managed to cut my finger and throw out my back in the process. Good times!

The first time she wore them, Cherry seemed quite happy. They weren't as tight as the company says they should be, but they didn't shift and they didn't rub. Despite the rough beginning, perhaps they were going to work after all.

So I used them again.

They went on a tad easier the second time, but both Cherry and I were getting pretty fed up with the installation production. And it was a production.

We went for a ride, no issues per say, but I noticed she still interfered with the boots. WTF?! I bought these stupid boots so she wouldn't interfere! Nope, no dice. They're heavy too. I dropped one and it went "clunk" on the ground. The Old Macs are way lighter. I prefer lighter hiking boots to lug soles, so I suppose my horse would feel the same.

The third time I used them was disaster. They went on okay, but they just didn't look right. I don't think the shape of the boot and the shape of Cherry's hoof are in harmony. The whole heel area was just not right. Once again, ignoring my better judgment, we went for a ride. Cherry started out fine, but soon started walking funny and moving in this strange clipped gait. Oh goody. Lame horse? Or was I right and the boots just did not fit?

I took her back to the barn and swapped boots. Old Macs secure, we went back out. Her stride didn't improve right away, but over the course of the ride she started moving much more normally. At the end she was back to a nice swinging walk. Still interfered with the boots a bit, but nothing major.

So I guess we're going to stick to the Old Macs. They fit reasonably well and they go on very easily. They do tend to rub occasionally, though. Either I do the pastern strap too tight (likely) or they just rub a bit. If they rub again, even if I'm vigilant about strap tightness, I'll bust out an old pair of my socks for Cherry to wear with her boots. Hey, I like socks with my boots, so why can't my horse wear some? Yes, she'll look ridiculous, but since when have I cared about that? Never, or would never have bought her spotted butt in the first place.

Oh well. Now I know. Knowledge is expensive.

Next spring, I'm trading those stupid boots in for a pair of either Gloves or Edges. I'm thinking Gloves, if I can manage not to set fire to the Bares before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment