Yes, again. I can't help it, I love them.
Though now I've decided what I want. There's two in the works, though one will probably (hopefully!) wait for some time. The one I that I want to wait for will be a memorial tattoo for Cherry when she dies. That is not something that I want to happen in the near future, thus I'm hoping to delay that tattoo for several years.
The one I want to get first is something else. I'm not 100% sure of the design yet, but I know where I want it. On my left forearm, halfway down, and on the underside. Not quite the back, but the side that is the least exposed.
Why there? For one thing, I want to see it. I can't see my other tattoos, and that bothers me. So I'm going to get one that I can see. But I don't want it to be immediately obvious and "lookit meeee!" either. So it's going to be small and on the "white underbelly" of my forearm. I'm also hoping to get it in gray ink instead of black, which won't contrast as much with my white skin. I thought about a white tattoo, but most of the ones I've seen look kind of gross. The white doesn't stay white. So gray it is. Gray will also be easier to cover with make-up than black, should I care to hide it for any reason (elderly relatives spring to mind).
The design I'm still toying with, though. That's okay, I've got plenty of time to think about it. No sense in rushing into tattoos, especially arm tattoos. If I do end up getting sick of my other ones, that's fine, I can't see 'em anyway! :)
The one design I keep coming back to for some inexplicable reason is an anchor. While amusing myself by looking at tattoo pics online, I came across a few of Kate Moss and her tiny anchor tattoo on her arm. At first I thought it was an arrow, but it's an anchor. I don't why, but I really liked it. So I drew one in Sharpie on my arm. And I liked it even more. Weird.At first I was like, uh, it's kind of nautical and "sailor-y". Which of course does NOT apply to me in any way. The closest I've been to sailing is floating up the Delta on my friend's father's yacht when I was about 8. Then I started Googling "anchor tattoo" and found that they're very, very popular among people who are not in the Navy. Encouraging.
Kind of like the ubiquitous butterfly tattoo, but cooler. And not quite so "OMG, another one? You are, like, so original! *eyeroll*" More like, "Cool, an anchor! I like those." Not that social stigma or lack thereof really influences my preferences (I even like butterfly tattoos), but I'm not eager to leap into anything that's going to lead to endless eyerolls and mockery. It's not about fitting in or standing out, but I don't really want something that's been completely done to death.
I tried a horseshoe, and even an abstract circle design (that I ended up hating), but I liked the anchor the best. After 2 hours with the stupid circles (they sounded like a great idea in my head, all symbolic and stuff), I was like, "Damn, I can't wait to wash this shit off. Maybe I'll put my anchor back on." Wait, back up a minute. My anchor? It sounds an awful lot like I've made up my mind without me. Hmmmmm.
It kind of makes sense for me too, in a symbolic way. I've always been a very grounded person, firmly rooted in life and reality. A little too much so for my flightier friends, but whatever. I was also thinking that it would be a good, totally not obvious tribute to Cherry, who has indeed been quite an anchor in my life. But it doesn't have to be just her, it could be anyone and anything. I like that idea. And it's small enough to cover with another tattoo later if it gets ugly.
So my plan is to wear the anchor in Sharpie for the next couple months, definitely through the holidays, and see how I feel about it then. If I still like it, on it goes. In gray! If I don't, no harm no foul, I'll keep looking.

No comments:
Post a Comment