Sunday, September 19, 2010

Made a Decision, Sort Of

I've made up my mind on the whole boarding situation, at least for the time being. If something comes up or changes, I'll have to rethink it.

I've decided to stay where I am. For now. Cherry is well fed, well cared for, and I know she's looked after when I'm out of town. These are important things for me, and at the moment they are worth paying for. Especially now, with winter coming.

Winter is when things blow up around here, boarding stable-wise. There have been other barns in the area who've run out of hay, had roofs collapse under a snow cover, not fed enough, not bothered to provide unfrozen water, etc. Those things haven't happened here for the last three winters, and it freaks me out to think that I'd move and then be screwed.

If I moved now, right now, I'd only have a month, perhaps two, to regularly ride. I'm not sure if that's worth the hassle. If it was June, that might be different, but it's September. It'll probably start snowing in November, and due to plenty of hills and a crappy 2WD truck, I can't always get around so good once the snows hit.

So I think I'm going to maintain the status quo for a bit longer. Cherry is not suffering, so there's no need to rush. It's just me that's depressed over the lack of places to go. I'm just going to have to suck it up and deal.

If I continue to take care of Cherry, it's quite likely that she's got several years of riding left in her. No need to be hasty, 6 months isn't really that long in the grand scheme of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment